How I Work:
1. Where did you graduate? What is your current job title?
I graduate from Parsons The New School for Design in 2014 with Master of Fine Arts, and Zhejiang University in 2007 with Bachelor of Engineering. Now I work as User Experience Designer.
2. What do you feel about your nomination as Emerging Talent of the Year on net Awards?
I feel lucky, honestly. There are many talents out there, and I feel very lucky being nominated. Other nominees are amazing and so young. I am humbled.
3. What apps and softwares you use most passionately? Why?
Oh, recently it has to be Sketch app. It is so useful for a UI/UX designer.
And TypeSample.com as the type nerd side of me. It is truly amazing and everyone who loves type should check it out. It has a chrome plugin to pick good type you see on other websites and save it to your list.
4. Do you prefer a tidy environment or a messy one? How do you organize your home and work desks? Any souvenirs?
I prefer tidy environment but the reality is the opposite, I regularly clean it up and but it gets messy after 3 days, so I really just clean it up for the sake of being tidy for 3 days. I think I might secretly enjoy messy environment, because my desk constantly finds its way back to messy land. I don’t know, printing stuff out, and hanging them up in the wall do help me be more imaginative. I have a wall dedicated to stickers and a few prints.
5. What is your current mobile device, computer setup and OS? Why?
Mobile: Oneplus One, Android L (CyanogenMod custom version)
Computer: 15 inches Macbook Pro (mid-2015) with 27-inch apple display, OS X Yosemite
Tablet: iPad Air, iOS 8
I have been using iOS for a while and I wanted a change, so I bought the Oneplus One to experience Android L. Also I am totally a sucker for invite only. I know, so childish.
I just upgraded to the latest Macbook Pro, before it was an older version of Macbook Pro, with 27-inch display. I like the setup because it is powerful, portable and flexible.
6. Are you a gamer? If so, which games do you play on mobile / computer / gaming devices?
I am not a big gamer, mainly because starting from sometime in College, I started to feel dizzy in virtual 3D, probably something wrong with my ear’s function. After that, I mostly play iPad 2D games: Monument valley, and Kingdom Rush are my favorites.
7. Is there any device you can’t live without, besides your cellphone and computer?
Right now I love my new friend Pebble 🙂
8. What sports or daily activities you do better than most people?
It has to be walking. I love walking on the bank of Hudson River after work, and I can walk longer than most of my friends. I feel innovative when I am walking too. I know many people feel more innovative in shower, but I figure walking saves water.
9. Are you an introvert, or an extravert?
Oh, I am a big introvert.
10. What time do you sleep and how long on average?
I am really bad at sleeping regularly, sometimes 4 am. and sometimes 1 am. but I mostly sleep very long, 7 hours on average.
11. Tea or coffee? To keep you awake or as a pleasure? (We are in love with tea. So this is a hard comparison for us.)
Tea doesn’t keep me awake, and I drink them as a pleasure. Coffee also does little keeping me awake, though might be more effective than tea. But in general I don’t depends on caffeine drinks to keep me awake. Exciting projects keep me awake.
12. Is there anything else you’d like to add that might be interesting to our readers?